Friday 5 September 2008

Ramadhan Mubarak

my bad, I will start updating this more often now - I havent had time recently because Karen was over for so long and then Ramadhan started which just takes away your energy to be doing extracurricular things like blogging but you can start reading this more often now!

To start back from long time ago...

After our Islamic Law class was done we went out for some sheesha
- which was amazingly great fun and really good because it meant I met way more local students and some more Muslims around the law campus as well, and our Islamic law class really was class, and I rather miss them and our professor. I can't tell you how inspiring or engaging he was, but everyone fell in love with the subject because of him! He told me not to worry that I didn't know what to do after uni because he never knows but always seems to do what he loves and this gig is something he loves, aaah words of wisdom from the prof


and then Karen and I did a lot of noseying things in Singapore and around. Karen seemed to enjoy KL and even met a random guy from Giffnock there! Karen was advised to go to Sentosa so we went. Sentosa is a little island off Singapore which you can reach by monorail, bus or CAbLE CAR! So naturally we went for cable car even though heights are not my thing but this was fiiine, face the fear and aw that! But was suprised how easy it was


Sentosa is a very built island now that forces itself to be idyllic, with so many rides and big signs and silly colours and fonts like it tries to be disney land plus everyone goes there on a sunny day at the weekend which Alh it was that day but thankfully not a weekend.

We also had our first KFC - which really isn't that good, McDonalds is waaay better! Its weird so many lazy students have McDonalds for Iftari which is baaaaaaaaaad, I will try as much as I can not be there those days cause you need some sort of nutrition after all day fasting :p but its not really that long here - well only 2 or 3 hours shorter than back home but the heat mostly gets to you unless your in aircon all day...

So anyway after that we went to Indonesia and Tanjung Panang which is on the island of Bintan which was so Indonesian and so different to Singapore. We stayed in a hotel and splashed out of a Deluxe suite (S$33 only lol) and walked around town the first day - strange to see somewhere sooo different and to us relative poverty but everyone there was quite happy how they were living methinks, although they kept having powercuts which would turn off the aircon!

Went to the most beautiful beach either of us had ever seen on the Sunday, the water was so clear and it really was an amazing day as well. Only bad point about it was that no one would leave us alone, we thought we had left the car honking and "hey miss" behind but even at the beach so many people came up to us to take pictures with the whitey folk! V. irritating and tiring after a while because you had to pay attention to everything going on and everyone and could never fully chill out. If guys spoke to us we began to only be able to speak German :p but some nice girls who were about 11 or 12 wanted to come up and practice their English and learn more about the UK with us which we didn't mind. Plus they gave us homemade doughnuts which were yummeeeeee


and then Karen went home and is safe and sound in Scotland as of Wednesday - I kinda wished I was going back with her and I really miss having her around cause it was good fun and we got on so well! But its only 3 more months until I go back home, everyone else is doing some travelling first which is a really good idea but I also kinda just wanna get back and see people, I might make a stop over on my way back, plus I intend doing some travelling later on around here iA

And since then been fasting and working, I find I am way more productive and do more work during Ramadhan so I'm getting things out the way Alh, everyone is away to Bintan this weekend after I enjoyed it to much last weekend so not as many people are on campus. Although my neighbour Farah is around and we tend to have iftari and sehri and stuff together - she's pretty cool, Singaporeans are nuts, and met lots of other Muslims coming out the woodwork, most are Pakistani, Malay or British (well one other Brit!) and I met a guy from Khazakhstan which was soo interesting! I'm looking forward to going to the bizarres that are set up for this month in arab street and at gelang which is the Malay area so I should have plenty more to tell you iA,

and so now I will go and do some work for mondaaay, take care guys, please keep me up to date with whats been going on at home, if I dont email back for a while prod me because its usually that I've forgotten :p I'm SO rubbish I know but whatever :p

1 comment:

Blog-Face said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

My Blog List